Wednesday, November 18, 2015

To be known.

Oh, the dreadful disruptive nightmares! When they make me wake up hysterical and irrational in the middle of the morning, I can't help but remember old memories of night terrors as a younger person. The violence and fear and lack of control are the most prominent feelings that overtook me as I woke, and it felt so real it was like I could've actually been there experiencing it. The brain is an awful and wonderful thing all at once.

But repeating those words in my head throughout the day is a peaceful answer and calming solution to the nightmare panic problem.

We are real.  The dream is not real. Everything is okay. 

What gets me is when someone is so real with their responses that it stops me in my tracks and makes me have to catch my breath through the moment of real. That's what you did.  Anybody can say it'll be okay. Anybody can say oh it was just a dream. Anybody can say anything, but when the words are sincere, authentic, thoughtful, and completely and totally tailored to the person they are talking to.... that's real. And that's what I latch onto because it makes me not disappear.  It makes me seen. And heard.  And known. And cared for. And almost, just, embraced in a way. Like I'm being held, anxieties eased and fears erased. 

Thank you for that.   It's what saves my soul every day from indifference and disappearance.

We are real.
And I've got it on repeat.




No comments:

Post a Comment